Chinese vessels transit Hormuz despite US blockade on Iran

Chinese vessels transit Hormuz despite US blockade on Iran
Chinese vessels transit Hormuz as major Chinese shippers avoid it. / bne IntelliNews
By bne IntelliNews August 23, 2026

Two Chinese-flagged vessels are transiting the Iranian side of the Strait of Hormuz, according to maritime tracking cited by Mehr News Agency on August 23, in a claim that has not yet been corroborated by other trackers or news outlets.

The report follows confirmation from US media that two Chinese state-controlled shipping companies, COSCO Shipping Energy Transportation and China Merchants Energy Shipping, have kept their tankers away from both the Strait of Hormuz and the Bab el-Mandeb Strait since late July amid heightened security risks, loading crude outside the Persian Gulf instead.

The pair control more than 100 very large crude carriers and, before the outbreak of the Iran war in February, carried roughly half of China's Middle East crude imports outside sanctioned Iranian oil.

The Iranian agency cited a tracking account it identified as ManchO-Sint as saying a vessel named New Way was sailing from Al Hamriyah Port in the United Arab Emirates through the Iranian side of the strait, while a Chinese-flagged tanker named Mousik had also been observed entering the waterway.

Neither vessel could be independently identified on public ship-tracking databases, and the cited tracking account could not be verified.

Chinese vessels have intermittently used the strait's Iranian-controlled route during the conflict, generally with coordination from Tehran and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps navy.

Iranian officials have said the passage is open to "friendly countries", a category that has included China, India and Russia, and state media reported earlier this year that around 30 Chinese vessels had been granted safe passage in coordination with the IRGC.

Related Articles

Iran says Iraq banking barriers removed hours after Trump threat

Iran's central bank governor said obstacles to banking transactions with Iraq have been removed following a meeting between officials in Baghdad on August 19 and 20, according to Iraqi and ... more

UAE-linked tanker reportedly changes course for Iranian port

A tanker intercepted in the Strait of Hormuz has changed course for Iran’s Bandar Abbas port after initially listing the UAE’s Jebel Ali as its destination, Fars News Agency reported on August ... more

India remains uncertain about LNG supply from Qatar

Petronet is sounding the alarm as QatarEnergy examines its force majeure status on a month-to-month basis.   What: India’s biggest gas importer Petronet remains in the dark on when ... more

Dismiss