Security forces shoot at protesters in Iran's Lorestan province, three dead

Security forces shoot at protesters in Iran's Lorestan province, three dead
/ bne IntelliNews
By bnm Gulf bureau January 2, 2026

Security forces attempting to maintain order in Azna district of Iran's Lorestan province have clashed with protestors, throwing stones at officers during unrest on January 1, with three people reportedly killed, the judiciary announced.

According to the official line, "Warning shots" were also fired at protesters in neighbouring Delfan district during the disturbances, Judiciary-controlled Mizan reported on January 2.

The Lorestan province judiciary said investigations into the incidents are ongoing, with authorities conducting further inquiries into the attacks on security personnel.

US-based VOA reported that two men in Azna, namely Shayan Asadollahi and Vahab Mousavi, and a minor were killed in direct gunfire, the agency reported

The clashes in Lorestan come as Iran faces nationwide protests over economic conditions, with at least six to seven people killed during demonstrations in recent days, according to official and media tallies.

The unrest was triggered by the collapse of the rial and inflation exceeding 40%, which has now turned into general discontent at the state of affairs in the Islamic Republic, with some reported chanting against the current Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Authorities also responded with arrests across multiple cities, including the detention of 30 people in Malard, west of Tehran.

Security forces accused those arrested of disrupting public order and abusing citizens' legal right to protest.

Backing protesters, US President Donald Trump warned Iran’s government on January 2 that he would intervene if the country “violently suppresses protesters,” declaring the military “locked and loaded and ready to go” in response to the crackdown.

Earlier on December 30, government spokeswoman Fatemeh Mohajerani acknowledged the protests in unusually direct remarks, saying the administration "sees and recognises" both demonstrations and economic hardship.

President Masoud Pezeshkian has moved to soften aspects of the controversial 2026 budget in an apparent effort to ease tensions.

 

Related Articles

Iranian drones hit Kurdistan PM's office in Erbil, KRG says

Two explosive drones launched from Iran struck the office of Kurdistan Regional Government Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the security council chief's residence in Erbil, local media reported. ... ... more

Iran pushes farm-trade pivot to EEU as US blockade squeezes Gulf ports

The Islamic Republic of Iran wants to widen agricultural trade and joint investment with Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) states, a deputy agriculture minister told the bloc's farm-policy council ... more

Excelerate Energy begins dredging work on Iraq’s first LNG import terminal

US LNG developer Excelerate Energy has begun dredging work on its floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) for Iraq, the company announced in its second quarter report on August 5. A ... more

Dismiss