Kosovo to ban gambling after two casino workers killed

By bne IntelliNews March 27, 2019

The Kosovan government has adopted a draft bill to ban gambling across the country and sent it to the parliament for approval.

The decision was taken following the deaths of two casino workers earlier this month during armed robberies in Suha Reka and Lipjan.

According to the draft law, all gambling games except those organised by Kosovo's lottery are banned, the government said on March 26. Most of the gambling shops in Kosovo operate illegally.

If approved, the ban will be in force for 10 years.

Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj said on March 27 that he has asked the parliament to hold extraordinary session on April 3 to review the draft.

In January, neighbouring Albania decided to close all casinos and betting shops in cities and ordered them to be relocated to outskirts to prevent the spread of gambling.

Related Articles

Fox Marble halts operations at Malesheva quarry in Kosovo over acquisition dispute

Natural stone extraction company Fox Marble Holdings has suspended operations at Malesheva quarry in Kosovo due to a dispute over a recent acquisition, the company said on July 18. In May, ... more

Ethnic Serbs close shops in Kosovo’s north in protest over 100% import tariffs

Shops in the northern part of Kosovo, populated mainly by ethnic Serbs, have been closed since the morning of July 1 in a protest against the 100% tariffs imposed by Pristina on Serbian products, ... more

Serbian PM Brnabic banned from entering Kosovo

Pristina has banned Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic from entering Kosovo due to her offensive statement on Kosovan people, Kosovan Foreign Minister Behgjet Pacolli said on May 30. Pacolli was ... more

Dismiss