Iran issues angry response to European letter to UN alleging Tehran has nuclear-capable missiles

By bne IntelliNews December 5, 2019

Iran said on December 5 that a letter from three European powers to the UN Security Council accusing Tehran of having nuclear-capable ballistic missiles showed their "miserable incompetence" in meeting their nuclear deal commitments.

"Latest E3 letter to UNSG on missiles is a desperate falsehood to cover up their miserable incompetence in fulfilling bare minimum of their own #JCPOA obligations," Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted, referring to the deal by its formal acronym. He urged the UK, France and Germany not to bow to "U.S. bullying".

The UK, German and French ambassadors, in a letter circulated on December 4, called on UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to inform the Security Council in his next report that Iran's missile programme was "inconsistent" with a UN resolution that had endorsed the nuclear deal reached between Iran and six world powers, Reuters reported.

The letter surfaced at a time of heightened friction between Iran and the West, with Tehran rolling back its commitments under the 2015 deal step by step. The strategy has been adopted to try and force the UK, France and Germany to offer meaningful protection to Iranian trade in the face of the heavy sanctions brought in by Washington last year after it unilaterally pulled out from the pact.

The US and its Arab allies want to see the nuclear deal toughened up to place restrictions on Tehran's ballistic missile programme and block backing provided by Tehran to various militias across the Middle East. Tehran says its missile development activity is solely defensive in nature.

The present nuclear deal is focused on suspending international sanctions that were levied against Iran in return for compliance with measures barring any possible path the Iranians could take to developing a nuclear weapon. Iran was in full compliance with the deal when the US walked out of it, the UN says.

Related Articles

Iranian state TV journalist and doctor warns audience “millions” in Iran could die from COVID-19

An Iranian state television journalist who is also a medical doctor on March 17 warned that the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak could claim the lives of "millions" in Iran if the public keeps ... more

Azerbaijan reports first death from coronavirus and cancels Nowruz new year festivals

Azerbaijan has reported its first death caused by the coronavirus, BBC Azeri reported on March 12 as the country continued to go into lockdown in response to the spread of the pandemic. The person ... more

Trump authorises military response to Iraq rocket attack US officials say was work of Iran-backed militia

US President Donald Trump has authorised the American military to respond to the March 11 rocket attack in Iraq that killed two US troops and one British service member. The order came on March 12 ... more

Dismiss