Shot in the face and robbed in South Africa's "murder capital," US tourist plans to sue Google Maps

By bne IntelliNews March 5, 2024

An American tourist who was shot in the face and robbed in November 2023 while driving in one of South Africa's crime hotspots has said he will sue vehicle rental company Avis and Google Maps.

Walter Fischel accuses Google Maps of suggesting a shortcut that passed through Nyanga, the crime-ridden zone in Cape Town, South Africa's oldest city and legislative capital. Unidentified people attacked him and robbed him of the rented vehicle.

“Before I came to Cape Town, Google Maps had already known Nyanga was a problem area yet it was still put on the route map," Fischel told News24.

"I am absolutely horrified that this is the treatment I have been subjected to when I certainly did not ask to be so violently attacked on my holiday in Cape Town. I almost died, for Christ's sake," Fischel said.

According to The Telegraph UK, Kar Hao Teoh, a British orthopaedic surgeon, was fatally shot in August 2023 in Nyanga after his GPS allegedly diverted him off an established motorway.

A spate of incidents in that year led the Foreign Office and US State Department to update travel advice and warn visitors against taking GPS navigation shortcuts down back streets.

Google Maps removed Nyanga from shortcuts in November, after talks with the South African tourism authorities.

“Why they did not remove it a long time ago is beyond me. They have caused major damage to my mental health and healing process,” Fischel said.

Africa's most developed nation recorded an average of 75 killings and 400 robberies with aggravating circumstances daily in 2023, AP wrote on January 7.

Related Articles

Johannesburg Stock Exchange eases listing requirements to encourage small caps to stay

South Africa's main bourse, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE), has amended some listing requirements to make it easier for smaller firms to raise capital and meet compliance costs. The ... more

Equatorial Guinea awards Petrofac $350mn five-year contract centred on Zafiro oilfield

Petrofac has been awarded a $350mn technical services contract by Equatorial Guinea's state oil company to support its operations in offshore Block B when it takes over the asset from ExxonMobil (US) ... more

Namibian community rejects green hydrogen port expansion project serving Germany’s Hyphen

Leaders of Namibia's Nama ethnic group have rejected a proposal by national port authority Namport to expand a facility on Shark Island – a heritage site sacred to the community – to facilitate ... more

Dismiss