Serbia calls new tender for strategic partner of Zelezara Smederevo steelworks.

By bne IntelliNews October 9, 2012
Serbia's finance ministry has announced a public call for selecting a strategic partner for the steelworks Zelezara Smederevo, Tanjug news agency reported. The deadline for submitting bids is Oct 26. Candidates must operate in the iron, steel or mining sectors. The tender rules require the bidders to have 2011 total revenues of at least USD 2bn. The rules also require the candidates to have end-2011 total assets of at least USD 2.5bn. The offers must contain a business plan with a four-year investment programme in the minimum amount of USD 50mn. The tender aims to ensure the operation and further development of the steelworks. We remind that economy and finance minister Mladjan Dinkic said recently that the negotiations for the sale of 75% of Zelezara to a large Russian company are going to be wrapped up soon. The remaining 25% will stay in the hands of the Serb government. The unnamed Russian investor has expressed strong interest to acquire the Serbian steel maker and build new capacities. Dinkic believes that production at Zelezara will be restarted by end-2012. Zelezara has a 12% share in Serbia's exports and accounts for 5% of the country's industrial output but its production has been halted since July 10 because the company was unable to cope with the unfavourable global market prices and the lack of raw materials. The government made an attempt to sell the company earlier this year after buying it back from US Steel for a token price of USD 1 at end-January. The tender, however, failed as none of the three interested companies filed an offer within the deadline.

Related Articles

Serbia's external debt up 4.7% y/y to EUR 25.4bn at end-Feb 2013.

Serbia's foreign debt rose an annual 4.7% y/y to EUR 25.4bn at end-February after climbing 6.6% on the year in January, central bank data showed. In monthly terms, however, the external ... more

Vip Mobile Serbia signs five-year managed services deal with Ericsson.

Swedish company Ericsson said it has signed a five-year managed services contract with Vip Mobile - the Serbian arm of Telekom Austria Group. The agreement includes field maintenance services for ... more

Telenor and Societe General possible buyers of Serbia's KBC Banka - report.

Norwegian telecommunications firm Telenor and France's Societe General are seen as possible buyers of the Serbian unit of Belgium's KBC Group, which has been on sale for several years now, a ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss