US hits Iran with sanctions following ballistic missile test

By bne IntelliNews February 3, 2017

The US Treasury Department on February 3 imposed fresh sanctions on Iran following a tweet earlier in the day from President Donald Trump in which he warned Tehran that it was “playing with fire”.

Trump’s comment and the Treasury announcement of new sanctions against 13 individuals and 12 entities follows Iran’s test-firing of a medium-range ballistic missile on January 29, which sparked a February 2 tweet from the president in which he wrote: “Iran has been formally PUT ON NOTICE for firing a ballistic missile”.  The sanctions also reflect displeasure in Washington over Iran’s regional ambitions in Yemen and Syria. 

The imposition of the sanctions will add to the nervousness being felt by the many international investors who have piled into post-sanctions Iran in the wake of the nuclear deal. Trump’s stance on Iran could threaten many deals including an $8bn order clinched by America’s Boeing to supply IranAir with an initial 80 aircraft. Total, Shell, Siemens, Lukoil, BASF and Daewoo Engineering and Construction are among the many big foreign names looking to push forward investments in the Islamic republic.

The Treasury Department said the list of individuals and entities facing restrictions either supported the missile programme, had links to terrorism or provided support for Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. They include companies based in Tehran, United Arab Emirates, Lebanon and China.

“This action reflects the United States’ commitment to enforcing sanctions on Iran with respect to its ballistic missile programme and destabilising activities in the region and is fully consistent with the United States’ commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action [otherwise known as the JCPOA  or the nuclear deal],” the statement said, referring to the 2015 nuclear accord Iran reached with the US and five other major world powers.

Ahead of the sanctions announcement, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted: "Iran unmoved by threats as we derive security from our people". He later added: "We will never use our weapons against anyone, except in self-defence."

On February 2, Iranian Defence Minister Hossein Dehghan reaffirmed to Tasnim News Agency that the missile test was not illegal as the missile in question is not designed to carry a nuclear payload.

Related Articles

UK trade envoy Lamont scathing of Trump's treatment of Iran

Norman Lamont, the UK trade envoy to Iran, on May 22 weighed into the row over the “unremitting hostility” expressed towards the Islamic Republic by Donald Trump during his visits to Saudi Arabia ... more

US extends Iran nuclear sanctions relief but introduces new sanctions

The Trump administration on May 17 announced it would continue with Obama-era waivers on sanctions linked to Iran’s nuclear programme. However, taking something of a carrot and stick approach, ... more

“Iranian Messi” lookalike fully booked for interviews, lands modelling deals

Reza Parastesh, a Lionel Messi lookalike who has become known as the “Iranian Messi”, is fully booked with media interviews and has even landed modelling contracts, the BBC reported on May 9. ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss