Turkey’s government has decided to extended the state of emergency that was declared after the failed July 15 coup attempt for another three months, Deputy Prime Minister and government spokesman Numan Kurtulmus said on October 3. The three-month extension will go into effect on October 19.
The state of emergency allows the government to issue decrees that do not require parliament’s approval. More than 30,000 people have been arrested, while 70,000 are under investigation, for their alleged links to the US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who the government says was the mastermind of the botched putsch that killed more than 250 people.
Tens of thousands of people have been dismissed or suspended from government jobs. In a new wave of crackdown on Gulen supporters, 12,000 policemen in different cities were suspended from duty on October 3.
In a speech in Ankara last week, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan hinted that the fight against Gulenists may require more time. The situation is so complicated that a three-month state of emergency may not be enough, maybe not even 12 months, Erdogan said.
The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) is against the extension of the state of emergency, while the nationalist MHP supports it.
The Turkish central bank reported on December 7 that its gross forex reserves last week experienced a record drop, declining to $89.85bn on December 1 from $96.35bn a week earlier. ... more
EU governments have agreed with the European Parliament to withdraw €105mn that would have gone to help finance political ... more
Reza Zarrab, the wealthy Turkish-Iranian entrepreneur who allegedly masterminded an extensive conspiracy to help Iran evade US sanctions will not stand trial in New York this week as scheduled, even ... more