Czech doctors to get 75% of additional CZK 2bn financing.

By bne IntelliNews February 3, 2011
Health minister Leos Heger has decided to allocate 75% of the additional CZK 2bn, he promised to give for higher wages in the healthcare sector, to increase the salaries of doctors, CTK newswire reported. The remaining 25% will go for wages of nurses and other medical staff. Hegers decision to allocate more money to the healthcare system is part of the governments efforts to alleviate a crisis in the sector, as over a quarter of hospital doctors handed in their notices at end-December demanding higher wages. The minister has since then held a number of meetings with the Doctors Union (LOK) and the Doctors Chamber (CLK) to try to find a solution to the problem. Doctors demand that the money is used only for their pay rise, while Heger and PM Pert Necas are firmly in favour of using the money for the entire healthcare personnel. The doctors originally wanted that their base pay is raised 1.5 to 3 times the average wage in the country, depending on qualification and practice. Meanwhile, the parliaments lower house passed in a shortened procedure on February 2 a draft legislation which extends the powers of nurses as part of the governments plans to reform the sector in order to ensure higher efficiency and more savings. The nurses are to provide certain services, which are part of doctors tasks before they officially reach the required qualification. The lower chamber also passed a draft law decreasing the maximum prices of medicines and payments by health insurers by 7%. These medicines account for about a third of all medicines on the local market. The same measure was valid also in 2010.

Related Articles

Czech CSSD proposes 2014 general and European elections to be held together.

Social Democrats (CDDS), the major Czech opposition party, proposed next year's general and European elections to be held on the same day, CTK news agency reported. CSSD leader Bohuslav Sobotka ... more

Tesco Czech faces fine for selling products containing undeclared horsemeat

The Czech unit of UK retailer Tesco faces a fine of up to CZK 3mn (EUR 116,000) for selling beef lasagne containing undeclared horsemeat, Radio Prague reported. The state-run Agricultural and Food ... more

Czech Senate votes to limit immunity of lawmakers, judges.

The upper house of the Czech parliament, the Senate, voted on March 20 a constitutional amendment to limit the immunity of lawmakers and constitutional judges, Radio Prague reported. Out of the ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss