Slovak govt starts talks with Deutsche Telekom on sale of 49% of Slovak Telekom

By bne IntelliNews July 19, 2013

The Slovak government has started a series of talks with Deutsche Telekom regarding the potential sale of its 49% stake in Slovak Telekom, in which the German telecoms group owns the remaining 51%, Hospodarske Noviny business daily reported.

Deutsche Telekom, which bought the 51% stake in the former Slovak fixed-line monopoly from the state in 2000 for EUR 1bn, has a buy option for the government’s 49% holding.

Economy ministry spokesman Stanislav Jurikovic has confirmed to the daily that one meeting has been already held with Deutsche Telekom, but the German company has not indicated whether it would exercise its buy option or not. The next meeting is scheduled for the autumn.

The Slovak cabinet approved in March a document that mandated the economy ministry to initiate discussions with related parties regarding the different options for the sale of the state's stake in Slovak Telekom. The government decided to sell the stake as it has little control over the company. Another reason is that the cabinet needs to find money to buy out the country's two private health insurers. It expects to get about EUR 600mn to EUR 800mn from the sale.

Slovak Telekom, which employs some 4,200 people, posted a revenue of EUR 837mn last year, down 6.7% y/y due to significant mobile termination rate cuts, continuing strong roaming regulation and tightened competition on the mobile markets, which lead to price cuts. Its EBITDA fell 9.3% to EUR 352mn.

Related Articles

IPO of Romania’s RCS&RDS completed at low price

The 21.7% IPO of Digi Communications, the parent company of Romanian diversified telecoms company RCS&RDS, was completed at the price of RON40 (€8.78), the deal intermediaries informed ... more

South Africa’s MTN to invest $350mn in Iranian broadband

South Africa’s MTN said it has agreed, on a non-binding and preliminary basis, to invest an initial $350mn into Iranian fixed broadband provider Iranian Net. The investment will give ... more

Turkish court rejects Wikipedia appeal over blocked site access

An Ankara court on May 5 rejected an appeal lodged by Wikipedia to lift the ban on access to the online encyclopaedia introduced on April 29, state-run news service Anadolu reported. The ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss