Romania’s Jan-Aug 1.27%/GDP budget deficit in line with target – finance ministry

By bne IntelliNews September 27, 2013

Romania’s general government deficit reached RON 7.9bn [1.27% of the full-year GDP projection] in Jan-Aug, remaining in line with the quarterly and annual targets agreed by Romania with the IFIs, the finance ministry said in an online release. Romania targets 2.3%-of-GDP general government deficit for full 2013.

The primary balance furthermore shows a 0.05%/GDP surplus in the period, demonstrating that the budgetary policy is prudential and sustainable, the ministry commented.

Revenues increased by 4.4% y/y to RON 131.2bn [20.9% of full year GDP]. Profit tax revenues shrank by 0.8% y/y to 6.1% of total revenues. Above-average rises were reported in the income tax revenues [8.2% y/y to 11.5% of total] and social security contributions [4.5% y/y to 27.2% of total]. Both income taxes and social contributions were pushed up by the higher wages in the budgetary sector, higher minimum statutory wage and higher pensions, the ministry explained.

Net VAT collections increased by only 3.1% y/y [to 25.1% of total] as the government has strived to reduce the payment arrears to recipients of reimbursed VAT.

Expenditures increased by 4.8% y/y to RON 139.1bn [22.2% of GDP]. Capital expenditures notably dropped by 9.7% y/y to 7% of the total. Public payroll, however, increased by 15.2% y/y to 22.2% of total. Total expenditures related to EU-funded projects accounted for 5.8% of total, down from 7.1% last year. Direct expenditures on such projects shrank by 11.5% y/y, while other expenditures related to such projects plunged by 46% y/y.

Related Articles

EU to fund feasibility study on Slovakia’s proposed Eastring gas link to Balkans

The EU has agreed to help fund a feasibility study on the Eastring pipeline project, which would link Slovakia to the Balkan markets, Slovak transmission system operator Eustream announced on May 26. ... more

IMF recommends fiscal consolidation for Romania

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has estimated that the fiscal policies envisaged by Romania will result in a wide deviation (of over 2% of GDP) from the optimum 1.5% of GDP medium-term budget ... more

Owner of Romania’s Dedeman reportedly close to signing largest ever deal in the Romanian office segment

Dragos Paval, owner of Romania’s biggest DIY retailer Dedeman, is reportedly close to signing an agreement with Africa Israel Investments for the acquisition of an office building project in ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Dismiss