Poland’s Lotos pushing for upstream assets with Norwegian acquisition

By bne IntelliNews November 1, 2015

Lotos has bought Norwegian offshore oil and gas exploration assets from Exxon Mobil’s Norwegian subsidiary for USD 160mn (€145mn), the Polish state-controlled company announced on October 31.

Like other refiners, Lotos - which reported vastly improved net profit of PLN128mn (€30.1mn) after the first three quarters of 2015 - is looking to bulk up on upstream assets.Peer PKN Orlen, has also purchased production assets recently, as the pair chases low valuations on exploration licences thanks to low global crude pricing.

Following the transaction, which is set to finalise by end of 2015, Lotos will have a 15% stake in four production fields in Norway’s continental shelf. Norway’s Statoil is the operator on Sleipner Ost, Sleipner Vest, Gungne, and Loke. The transaction may be broadened by taking over a 28% stake in Alfa Sentral production field for $25mn, pending on consent from the Norwegian oil and gas regulator.

Lotos assumes it will produce 16,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boe/d) from the acquired assets in 2015, out of which 70% will be gas and the remaining 30% condensate (light oil). The production rate will drop to 9,500 boe/d in 2016-2018.

Related Articles

Latvia issues permits to new gas infrastructure holding

The Latvian Public Utilities Commission (SPRK) announced on January 5 that it has issued licences to Conexus Baltic Grid for the transmission and storage of gas. Conexus Baltic Grid will control ... more

Iran to seek arbitration over termination of gas flow from Turkmenistan

The National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) intends to take its recent gas dispute with Turkmenistan to international arbitration, Mehr News Agency reported on January 4, citing ... more

CEZ ignores Czech finance minister and re-elects CEO

The supervisory board at Czech power group CEZ ignored pressure from the finance ministry to dump the current management, local media report. Finance Minister Andrej Babis has been accumulating ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss