People of Iran “will deliver a strong punch to the mouth” of Pompeo says military commander

People of Iran “will deliver a strong punch to the mouth” of Pompeo says military commander
A Sarollah Revolutionary Guards commander has sanctioned a strong, collective punch to Pompeo's mouth from the Iranian people.
By bne IntelliNews May 23, 2018

“The people of Iran… will deliver a strong punch to the mouth of the American Secretary of State and anyone who backs them,” a senior Iranian military commander said in a scathing assessment of Mike Pompeo’s vow that the US will impose the "strongest sanctions in history" on the Islamic Republic if it doesn’t meet Washington’s demands, the Iranian Labour News Agency (ILNA) reported on May 23.

“Who are you and America to tell us to limit the range of ballistic missiles?” added Ismail Kowsari, the deputy commander of the Sarollah Revolutionary Guards base in Tehran, according to ILNA. “History has shown that with the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, America is the top criminal with regard to missiles,” he added.

Pompeo made his threats in the wake of Donald Trump’s announcement on May 8 that he is unilaterally withdrawing the US from the multilateral nuclear accord, looking to force Iran to negotiate a new agreement that would curb its influence in Middle East conflict zones and limit its ballistic missile development programme.

Several big-name foreign companies fearing exposure to US sanctions have already announced they are pulling out of Iran but the European Union's major powers, Russia and China—the other nuclear deal signatories apart from the US and Iran—are working on ways to protect traders and investors continuing to do business with the Iranians from American penalties.

Iran was on May 22 boosted by Austrian oil, gas and petrochemical group OMV which said it was continuing with planned Iranian energy projects. However, the company is yet to commit to an investment in Iran as yet.

OMV was monitoring political developments in the US and the EU very closely, OMV’s upstream chief Johann Pleininger told its annual shareholder meeting in Vienna, Reuters reported.

“The project has not come to a standstill, it is continuing,” Pleininger said.

Last week, French energy giant Total signalled a likely exit from Iran’s South Pars Phase 11 gas field development project in the Persian Gulf.

Related Articles

Khamenei sees no point in Iran joining treaty groups such as Financial Action Task Force (FATF)

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on June 20 said there is no point in the Islamic Republic joining international treaty groups such as the anti-money laundering Financial Action Task ... more

Renault to maintain some degree of downsized presence in Iran

French carmaker Renault intends to maintain a presence in Iran but may have to greatly downsize its operations to avoid the risk of penalties for breaching renewed US sanctions, its CEO Carlos Ghosn ... more

Rouhani warns Macron Iran needs action not more words to stay in nuclear deal

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on June 12 warned the major powers trying to save the nuclear deal that it was not possible for Tehran to stay in the multilateral accord if it cannot benefit from it ... more

Dismiss