OMV Petrom and ExxonMobil acquire 85% in Romania's Black Sea deep water block Midia XV

By bne IntelliNews January 30, 2014

Romania’s government has endorsed the deal under which ExxonMobil* and OMV Petrom take over the 85% stake in the deep water portion of the Midia XV Black Sea block [Midia Deep] from Canada’s Sterling Resources and Petro Ventures Europe. The remaining 15% is owned by Italy’s Gas Plus.

Romania’s Romgaz has the option to buy a 10% participation in the block from ExxonMobil and OMV Petrom, following an agreement reached last year. The option will be triggered by the discovery of gas reserves.

The Midia Deep block is adjacent to the Neptun Deep block, in which ExxonMobil and OMV Petrom announced gas discoveries in 2012. The deal on Midia Deep was reached in February 2013 but the completion required the government’s approval of the transfer of the concession contract.

Following the completion of the transfer agreement, the participating interests in Midia Deep are: ExxonMobil 42.5%, OMV Petrom 42.5%, and Gas Plus 15%. Gas Plus is the fourth largest producer of natural gas in Italy as estimated by the Authority for Electricity and Gas.

Sterling Resources confirmed that it will receive within seven days USD 29.25mn for its 65% stake in Midia Deep. Another USD 29.25mn will be paid upon a commercial discovery and an additional USD 19.5mn upon first production.

* through ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Romania Ltd

 

Related Articles

Enea buys French utility out of Poland

Enea has acquired a 100% stake in Engie Energia Polska - the Polish business of French power company Engie - for PLN1.26bn (€290mn), the state controlled Polish utility said on March 14. The ... more

EU asks CEE to comment on Russian gas promises

The European Commission has invited comments from Central & Eastern European states on proposals put forward by Russian gas giant Gazprom to meet competition concerns. Visegrad and the Baltic ... more

Iran's crude oil exports climb to 3mn bbl/day for first time since 1979 revolution

Iran’s crude oil exports recently hit 3mn barrels a day for the first time since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, Petroleum Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh told state news agency IRNA on March 8. The ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss