Montenegro’s parliament ratified the protocol on the country’s Nato membership on April 28, despite protests by the pro-Russian opposition, nearing the end of a long and tense path towards joining the alliance.
In May 2016, Nato foreign ministers signed the protocol on the country’s accession to the alliance. Since then, Montenegro has been able to participate in meetings as an observer, but it will only become a full member after the protocol is ratified by the parliaments of all member states. The country was hoping to become a full member of Nato by spring this year.
“In the name of a more prosperous Montenegro I call on you to very rationally, without excessive emotions, turn to the future, being responsible to yourselves and, above all – to your children,” Montenegro’s Prime Minister Dusko Markovic said in a speech before the parliament’s vote, in an attempt to persuade the opposition to join the debate and vote on the resolution.
In the meantime, the pro-Russian Democratic Front, which has been boycotting the parliament’s sessions, staged a protest against the adoption of the resolution. They burned a Nato flag, according to news outlet CDM. Other than that, the protest was not violent.
To become a full member of Nato, Montenegro’s accession protocol should be ratified only by Spain – the last state which has not voted on it so far, but its parliament is expected to hold a session, on which to include the protocol, in the coming weeks.
Montenegro’s government has decided to speed up the acquisition of Italian A2A's stake in the power firm EPCG, paying €68.9mn for a ... more
The European Commission slammed Montenegro for its lack of progress in fight against organised crime in its progress report released on April 17, and said that the country ... more
Boyko Borissov, prime minister of the current EU Council chair Bulgaria, called on April 10 on the leaders of the Western Balkan countries to preserve peace and ... more