Montenegro hopes to negotiate higher price for cigarette maker Novi Duvanski Kombinat

By bne IntelliNews May 29, 2013

The tender commission in charge of the privatisation of Montenegrin cigarette producer Novi Duvanski Kombinat Podgorica (NDKP) hopes to negotiate a higher price for the company’s shares than the EUR 6mn offered by the potential buyers, the head of the commission Branko Vujovic was quoted as saying by daily Pobjeda on May 29.

The commission approved in early May as valid the sole bid in the fourth tender for NDKP – filed by a consortium of local firms Primat, Partner Company and Jaz Express, and last week launched talks with the investors.

The consortium offered EUR 6mn to buy 100% of NDKP (the government holds 70% and Podgorica city the remaining 30%) and pledged to build a new plant worth EUR 9.4mn and invest further EUR 1.5mn in equipment. It also offers to build the plant within 12 months and employ between 100 and 150 workers.

The price of EUR 9.4mn proposed for the construction of the plant is in line with the one sought by the government in the tender notice. The commission, however, is trying to raise the price offered for the equity stake and to convince the investors to keep as many of the existing some 190 workers as possible.

Vujovic said that the tender commission will have a session on Monday, June 3, adding he expects the price for the shares will be agreed by then and will top EUR 6mn.

He further said that the parties agreed that no more than 10% of the existing labour force will be laid off.

Previously, Montenegrin construction firm Kroling offered to build the new plant of Novi Duvanski Kombinat for EUR 12.85mn (in early 2013) and local firm Zetagradnja asked for EUR 13.3mn (in late 2012) but Montenegro turned down their offers, saying the asked price was too high.

 

Related Articles

Montenegro’s PM confirms readiness to join Nato - despite shove from Trump at alliance summit

Montenegro’s Prime Minister Dusko Markovic said on May 25 that the Adriatic country is fully prepared to ... more

Ex-Montenegrin President Marovic missing after receiving prison sentence

Montenegro’s court issued an arrest warrant on May 12 for former President Svetozar Marovic who has not been found in his hometown and has not ... more

Adriatic ports hit by Venice tourist clampdown

The number of cruise ships visiting Dubrovnik and other Croatian ports is set to fall dramatically in 2017, a new report presented at the Adriatic Sea Forum has revealed.  As the historic ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss