Moldova’s unemployment rate starts to rise

Moldova’s unemployment rate starts to rise
By Iulian Ernst in Bucharest April 4, 2016

The unemployment rate in Moldova, defined according to ILO methodology, increased to a still low value of 4.9% in 2015 after bottoming out at 3.9% in 2014.

The unemployment rate is still lower than at any time between 2008 and 2013. However, this is because most Moldovans who needed a job either stopped looking for a job at home and migrated temporarily to Russia or Europe, or live in rural areas where subsistence farming counts as an informal occupation.

The IMF has said it expects the jobless rate to reach 6% this year.

Only 71% of the total occupied population are in formal employment, and the remaining of 29% are occupied in either informal entities or work in their own households (mainly agricultural work).

One fifth of the occupied population and 28% of formal employment is in the public sector - public administration, education, health system and social assistance. Only 12% of the occupied population is employed in industry. One third of country’s occupied population works in agriculture, mostly in subsistence farms. 

A large part of the active population - roughly half the size of the population occupied at home - is working abroad.

The total economically active population, which includes both the employed and unemployed, rose 1.6% on the year to 1.2mn. Its small share of the country’s total population could be explained by the high number of Moldovans (600,000-800,000) working abroad.

Unemployment among young people (15-24 years) was 12.8%, while for the 15-29 age bracket it reached 9.7%.

  2012 2013 2014 2015
Total         1,147         1,173         1,185         1,204
Formal employment            877            879            865            856
Informal employment            153            163            191            187
Households            117            131            130            161
Source: BNS        

Data

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss