KMG to request damages of at least $2bn from Romania in case of arbitration

By bne IntelliNews September 14, 2016

Kazakhstan's state-owned KazMunaiGaz (KMG) might request damages of at least $2bn from the Romanian state in case of arbitration over the seizure of its Romanian refinery Petromidia, the senior vice president of Petromidia's owner KMG International (KMGI), Azamat Zhangulov, told Economica.net. 

In May, the Directorate for Investigating Organised Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT) seized some $680mn worth of assets owned by four people involved in the privatisation of Petromidia in 2000, as well as assets of three companies. DIICOT said at that time it was taking action to recover alleged losses incurred by the state budget during the privatisation process. Also, former Prime Minister Victor Ponta is reportedly part of an investigation related to the settlement of a $600mn debt of KMG, Euractiv reported in July.

KMGI said in July that together with KMG it had submitted a notice of investment dispute to the Romanian authorities, a first step towards eventual international arbitration. “The arbitration dispute concerns the treatment applied by the Romanian authorities to the investments performed by KMG and KMGI in their Romanian subsidiaries,” KMGI said in a statement at that time.

The letter to the Romanian government also detailed asset freezes totalling more than $2.1bn and the company's belief that it appears to be the intention of the authorities to seize and nationalise assets that have generated benefit for the Romanian economy and people, the statement said.

However, the Kazakh group has not yet been invited to negotiations by the Romanian state related to the situation of the seized assets, Zhangulov said.

“There is no dispute at the moment […] It has not been launched, because before the launch you have to go through a so-called zero step, this zero step is a notice of dispute which we already sent on July 26 and we expect the Romanian state to take some measures, to negotiate this notice before the launch of the dispute. In this period of six to seven weeks which have passed since then, we haven't had meetings with governmental institutions,” he added.

The KMGI official considers that the current “incorrect” situation limits the Kazakh's company plans on the Romanian market and brings no certainty regarding the future of the company's investments in Romania. KMGI has already said it could cut its losses and pull out of Romania if it loses the dispute with the country over Petromidia.

There are no quantified operating losses following the seizure of the assets, but losses created by the fact that some projects which could have brought profit were not started, Zhangulov said.

He added that the KMG will demand damages of more than $2bn in case of arbitration, taking into consideration the fact that the Kazakh group has invested around $4bn in Romania.

Related Articles

Latvia issues permits to new gas infrastructure holding

The Latvian Public Utilities Commission (SPRK) announced on January 5 that it has issued licences to Conexus Baltic Grid for the transmission and storage of gas. Conexus Baltic Grid will control ... more

Iran to seek arbitration over termination of gas flow from Turkmenistan

The National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) intends to take its recent gas dispute with Turkmenistan to international arbitration, Mehr News Agency reported on January 4, citing ... more

CEZ ignores Czech finance minister and re-elects CEO

The supervisory board at Czech power group CEZ ignored pressure from the finance ministry to dump the current management, local media report. Finance Minister Andrej Babis has been accumulating ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss