Exports of Armenian wine drop by 42% y/y in Jan-Aug

By bne IntelliNews December 16, 2015

Armenia's alcoholic beverage sector, one of the important contributors to GDP and employment in the country, is mulling the formation of "seven or eight" cooperatives comprising of grape farmers and wine and brandy makers, according to Avag Harutyunyan, chairman of the Union of Armenian Winemakers. The cooperatives would solve some of the problems arising from a mismatch between the types of grapes farmers harvest, and what the wine and brandy industry needs.

Harutyunyan expects the country's exports of wine and brandy to increase by up to 50% and 15% in 2016 respectively on the back of a bumper grape crop this year.

However, exports of brandy declined by 50% y/y and of wine by 42% in January-August because of the economic recession in Russia, the largest destination for Armenian wine and brandy. Russia reportedly purchases 80% of Armenia's alcoholic beverage exports, and the remaining 20% goes to Central Asian countries.

The drop in exports prompted wine makers to purchase smaller amounts of grapes, which in turn led to social unrest among grape farmers, whose grape harvest was 30% larger in 2015 compared to 2014, and part of which went bad. Farmers resorted to exporting 36% more fresh grapes y/y to offset the lower demand from the wine industry.

The Armenian Agriculture Ministry is also seeking to diversify export markets, and is planning to send a delegation to India in February to promote the country's wine exports.

Related Articles

EBRD says 2016 net profit was around €1bn

The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) said it made a net profit of around €1bn in 2016, up by a quarter from the €802mn it made in ... more

World Bank raises growth forecasts for Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan

The World Bank’s latest “Global Economic Prospects” report issued on January 10 offers a mixed picture when it comes to the GDP growth prospects of countries across Central Asia and the ... more

Armenia's outlook remains challenging, says IMF

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) predicts GDP growth to the tune of 2.7% and 3% in Armenia in 2017 and 2018 respectively, the multilateral lender announced upon completing an extended ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss