Czech energy group CEZ cancels tender for Temelin n-plant expansion

By bne IntelliNews April 10, 2014

Czech largest power supplier CEZ, majority owned by the state, said on April 10 it decided to cancel a tender to expand its Temelin nuclear power plant citing falling electricity prices that make the project economically unviable without state support.

In a statement on its website, CEZ’s chief executive Daniel Benes said the European electricity sector has changed dramatically since 2009 when the tender was launched. “While originally the project was fully economically feasible given the market price of electricity and other factors, today all investments into power plants, which revenues depend on sales of electricity in the free market, are threatened”, Benes said.

Shareholders gain

After the news, CEZ shares gained 2.4% to CZK 558.9 in Prague, Bloomberg said adding that it is the biggest jump in shares since March 24. The scrapping of the tender indicates that CEZ might increase its dividend payment as it no longer needs cash for the new reactors. CEZ usually pays between 50% to 60% of earnings to shareholders but finance minister Andrej Babis has proposed the company to distribute its full-2013 profit in dividends.

No state guarantees

The cancelling of the project was expected by the market as the government refused to provide state guarantees on the price of electricity to be generated from the planned two new reactors at Temelin. CEZ, on the other hand, has said several times that the project does not make sense without state aid. The company was seeking the introduction of the British model under which the state steps in with payments if the power prices slip below the guaranteed level but CEZ would have to pay the state if prices are higher.

The remaining bidders in the up to EUR 11bn tender were US Westinghouse and a Czech-Russian consortium comprising Skoda JS, Atomstroyexport and Gidropress.

New tender?

Despite scrapping the current tender, CEZ has said it stays committed to nuclear power development since the country faces the risk of depending on imported power after 2030 if no new capacities are built.

One of the possible scenarios is the government to set up a wholly-owned company to be in charge of enlarging Temelin and to call a new tender, in line with a proposal by the industry minister Jan Mladek. Such a move will help CEZ get rid of the risks associated with the investment. Czech President Milos Zeman has urged earlier this week CEZ to scrap the tender and a open new one to attract more bidders that may eventually lower the price. Zeman has said that a new tender should bring into the contest besides the current bidders also France’s Areva and a South Korean company.

Related Articles

Latvia heads off Russian gas mischief with legislation on strategic companies

The Latvian parliament passed amendments to national security and commercial laws on March 23, handing the state the power to block the sale of companies considered strategic. The legislation will ... more

Enea buys French utility out of Poland

Enea has acquired a 100% stake in Engie Energia Polska - the Polish business of French power company Engie - for PLN1.26bn (€290mn), the state controlled Polish utility said on March 14. The ... more

EU asks CEE to comment on Russian gas promises

The European Commission has invited comments from Central & Eastern European states on proposals put forward by Russian gas giant Gazprom to meet competition concerns. Visegrad and the Baltic ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss