African Barrick Gold gets regulatory nod to buy Avivas Kenyan exploration ops.

By bne IntelliNews October 24, 2012
Kenyas competition watchdog has given the green light to the planned acquisition of Aviva Mining (Kenya), the local exploration business of Australia-based resource development company Aviva Corporation, by Tanzanian miner African Barrick Gold (ABG), Business Daily reported. Under the deal, ABG, which operates four gold mines in neighbouring Tanzania, will acquire Aviva Mining, which has interests in a number of prospecting licenses in western Kenya where sizeable reserves of gold have been found, for initial cash consideration of AUD 20mn (EUR 15.8mn) and additional payment of up to AUD 10mn depending on the results from exploration. With the final condition for the acquisition of AMKL now satisfied, we look forward to continuing the successful exploration programme on this highly prospective land package, ABGs CEO Greg Hawkins was quoted as saying. ABG, which spun off in early 2010 from Canadas Barrick Gold Corporation to run its operations in Africa, made an IPO in London in March 2011, where it has a free float of 26%, while the remaining 74% are owned by Barrick. ABG is one of the five largest gold producers in Africa and the acquisition is the companys first step in expanding its footprint outside of Tanzania. ABG is trying to expand outside Tanzania and lessen its dependence on the country, in the wake of the governments pushing for mining companies to pay a corporate tax of 30% in line with rising prices of precious metals on the world market. The tax is subject to the companies having been operational in Tanzania for more than five years.

Related Articles

South Africas Exxaro mulls firing striking coal miners.

South African company Exxaro Resources said one of the options it currently considers is dismissing striking coal mine workers who fail to return to work in the week of March 25, fin24 reported ... more

South Africas Telkom says there is no decision to lay off 13,000 employees.

South Africas telecommunication operator Telkom said that it has not made a decision on retrenching 13,000 employees, or more than half of its staff, TechCentral reported quoting a company ... more

BP, Masana Petroleum Solutions sell LPG business in South Africa.

Oryx Energies, a major independent provider of oil and gas products and services in Africa, has agreed to buy the South African liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) distribution businesses of BP and ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss