Estonia blocks €1.7bn offshore wind power park citing national security concerns

By bne IntelliNews April 13, 2019

The Estonian government blocked a €1.7bn offshore wind power project off the coast of the Saaremaa island last week, citing security concerns, Bloomberg reported on April 11.

“The reason for refusal is a suspicion that the applicant may threaten public order, safety of the society and national security,” the Estonian government in a statement, originally made public last week.

The project could carry “could carry potential security threat due to background of investors,” Justice Minister Urmas Reinsalu said in an analysis of the project in February, according to Bloomberg.

It is unclear why a renewable energy project would pose a threat to national security. A nation of just over a million people and a frontline member of the EU and Nato, Estonia considers Russia as the biggest threat but the developer of the project – Saare Wind Energy – has claimed it had no links to Moscow whatsoever.

Saare Wind Energy planned to build a massive offshore wind power farm consisting of 100 wind turbines off Saaremaa. The farm’s capacity would be 600 megawatts.

Estonia’s target for share of renewable energy in total energy consumption is 20% in 2020, as imposed by the EU. The country’s national target is 25%. Estonia has met both targets already but its energy mix remains dominated by emissions-heavy oil shale and is one of the “dirtiest” in Europe.

Related Articles

The balls of war: Iran and US accuse each other of stepping back from military confrontation

So who’s got their facts straight here? The tense debate over whether Iran and the US could go to war in the near future on May 21 brought conflicting comments from Iranian President Hassan Rouhani ... more

Romania’s Hidroelectrica takes first steps towards IPO

Romania's biggest power producer Hidroelectrica launched a call for the acquisition of legal services related to listing its shares on the Bucharest Stock Exchange by an IPO that has been expected ... more

Trump told defence chief he ‘doesn’t want war with Iran’ officials brief US media

US President Donald Trump has told his acting defence secretary Patrick Shanahan that he does not want to go to war with Iran, the New York Times ... more

Dismiss