Ukrainian troops withdraw from Debaltseve

By bne IntelliNews February 18, 2015

bne IntelliNews -

 

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has announced that Ukrainian forces fighting Russian-backed separatists are pulling out of the East Ukraine town of Debaltseve, which has been under attack from the rebel forces since mid-January.

Speaking at a military airport before flying to East Ukraine, Poroshenko said that the withdrawal had been planned by Kyiv and not forced by the rebels.

"We have stated and proven: Debaltseve was under our control, and there was no encirclement. Our units and forces have left it in a planned and organised manner,” Poroshenko said. “They've left it with their military equipment, with tanks, with armored personnel carriers, with self-propelled guns, tow tractors, and automobiles," he added as quoted by Interfax Ukraine. TV pictures and reports showed some columns of Ukrainian personnel carriers and army trucks carrying soldiers out of the town, although it is not clear whether all Ukrainian forces have been evacuated.

Poroshenko's words contradicted widespread reports that the Ukrainian troops in Debaltseve were encircled and running out of ammunition and food, including desperate calls from commanders of troops in the town to live Ukrainian TV detailing their plight.

Russian President Vladimir Putin had also previously suggested that Poroshenko was being misled by his army staff on the situation on the ground. On February 17 he called on Ukrainian troops to lay down their arms and for rebels to allow the government forces to leave the town.

Today's withdrawal of Ukrainian troops may indicate a deal was struck between Kyiv and Moscow, say analysts, allowing Poroshenko to save face and Putin to avoid a threatened sharpening of Western sanctions against Russia, were the conflict to escalate again.

Reports spoke of over 50 corpses of Ukrainian soldiers being delivered to the morgue at the nearest government held town, Artemovsk.

A rebel military spokesman, Eduard Basurin, said on Russian TV on February 18 that over 300 Ukrainian soldiers had surrendered, according to Interfax. Ukrainian soldiers posting on the internet also reported the surrender of some groups of government forces. 

Poroshenko said that in his airport statement that "from 2,000 soldiers, we have 30 who are wounded."

Locals were also reporting civilian casualties among the fighting.

Related Articles

Drum rolls in the great disappearing act of Russia's banks

Jason Corcoran in Moscow - Russian banks are disappearing at the fastest rate ever as the country's deepening recession makes it easier for the central bank to expose money laundering, dodgy lending ... more

Kremlin: No evidence in Olympic doping allegations against Russia

bne IntelliNews - The Kremlin supported by national sports authorities has brushed aside "groundless" allegations of a mass doping scam involving Russian athletes after the World Anti-Doping Agency ... more

PROFILE: Day of reckoning comes for eccentric owner of Russian bank Uralsib

Jason Corcoran in Moscow - Revelations and mysticism may have been the stock-in-trade of Nikolai Tsvetkov’s management style, but ultimately they didn’t help him to hold on to his ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss