Turkey is likely to extend the state of emergency that was declared after the failed July 15 coup attempt for a period of three months.
In an unprecedented crackdown that followed the botched putsch tens of thousands of people have been jailed, suspended or sacked from public duty for their alleged link to Fethullah Gulen, who the government says orchestrated the coup attempt.
The country’s top national security body held a meeting on September 28, chaired by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and decided to propose extending the state of emergency. “To ensure the protection of our democracy, the rights and freedoms of citizens, and the principle of the rule of law, it was decided that an extension of the state of emergency should be proposed”, the National Security Council said in a statement. However, it did not indicate whether the state of emergency will be extended for another three months.
Western countries criticise sweeping purges and arrests, but Turkey says its allies fail to understand the threats posed by Gulen supporters who had infiltrated the country’s army, judiciary, police force and other key public institutions.
Some 32,000 people have been arrested and 70,000 are under investigation after the coup attempt, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said on September 28.
Turkey will not extradite any terror suspects to the US if Washington continues to refuse to hand over Fethullah Gulen, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on January 11. Ankara blames the ... more
The Turkish central bank reported on December 7 that its gross forex reserves last week experienced a record drop, declining to $89.85bn on December 1 from $96.35bn a week earlier. ... more
EU governments have agreed with the European Parliament to withdraw €105mn that would have gone to help finance political ... more