Securum files second court claim against Serbia for EUR 160mn damages over failed solar park project

By bne IntelliNews November 13, 2013

Serb PM Ivica Dacic has reportedly received a letter from US law firm Chaffetz Lindsey, saying it has filed a EUR 160mn damages claim against Serbia on behalf of its client Securum Equity Partners over a failed solar park project, daily Danas reported.

Luxembourg-based Securum Equity Partners said in August it started a EUR 160mn lawsuit for damages against the Serbian state after cancelling its 1,000 MW solar park agreement with the government in Belgrade. Securum claims the government has not fulfilled its obligations under the solar park project.

Chaffetz Lindsey has filed the claim at a Washington court and, according to the report, the parties could reach an out-of-court settlement on the issue in the next three months. If this does not happen, the court proceeding against Serbia will begin.

Earlier this year Securum filed a similar claim at International Court of Arbitration of London. The trials in both courts are scheduled to begin on Jan 29, 2014, the report said. In August, the company in charge of the project - One Giga Solar Park Incubator, sent a letter of termination on the umbrella agreement to the Serb government.

According to the report, the law firm is confident in the success of its client because back in 2007 Serbia signed the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes between states and nationals of other states (the so-called ICSID Convention) of the World Bank, thus obliging to compensate companies for damages they occurred due to a failure to implement an investment because of a state’s fault.

Securum has allegedly decided to file the second court trial and inform the Serbian PM on the matter after its negotiations with energy minister Zorana Mihajlovic failed. Securum and its companies – One Giga Solar Park Incubator and One Giga Project proposed to the Serbian side to agree on an out-of-court settlement worth EUR 40mn – and several times tried to launch talks on it with Mihajlovic. At the same time, Mihajlovic has reportedly insisted to discuss not the cancellation and the settlement but rather the future on the project, saying it will be beneficial for both parties.

Under the agreement Securum signed in October 2012 with the Serbian government, it was due to obtain by April 2013 all necessary permits to launch the project and wrap it up by 2015. The project was expected to bring a EUR 1.75bn investment to southern Serbia, to pay in some EUR 28mn worth of tax revenue annually and facilitate the opening of three plants for photovoltaic panels.

Related Articles

Hungarian PM's "proxy" moves into the nuclear industry as Paks tenders approach

Firms controlled by Hungarian oligarch Lorinc Meszaros have purchased a 51% stake in the Hungarian subsidiary of Czech nuclear ... more

CEZ set to place Czech nuclear assets in new unit

Czech state-controlled energy group CEZ is set to place all nuclear-related activities into a new division, local media reported on May 17. The move raises speculation that the company is ... more

TAP suspends work on Albania pipeline after uncovering ancient settlement

Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) AG company, which is in charge of the construction of the TAP gas project, has temporarily suspended works on the pipeline near the Turan village in Korca in the ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss