SABMiller beer sales volumes in Africa grow 6% in fiscal H1.

By bne IntelliNews October 19, 2012
Brewing giant SABMiller said lager volumes in Africa grew by 6% y/y on an organic basis in the six months to end-September 2012, as robust volume growth continued in most African markets with the exception of Tanzania, where a significant excise increase in the second quarter dented beer sales. The calculation of the organic growth rates excludes the impact of acquisitions and disposals on volumes and revenues. Lager volumes in Zambia grew 14% driven by improved availability and enhanced distribution in rural areas coupled with favourable economic conditions, SABMiller said in a statement. Mozambique reported a 10% lager volume growth, underpinned by robust growth in the mainstream brand, Manica, together with the continued growth of the cassava-based brand Impala. South Sudan continued to grow lager volumes by double digits despite the political and economic challenges of recent months. Zimbabwe reported a 9% growth thanks to pack innovation and improved availability. The beer market in Tanzania was hit by a 25% excise increase in July 2012, which resulted in an 8% decline in the companys H1 lager volumes. In Uganda lager volumes declined by 3% amidst continuing economic weakness. SABMiller said its associate Castel delivered lager growth of 5% on a pro forma basis including the combined Angola business and their Madagascar acquisition. Other beverage categories contributed significantly to total volume growth, with soft drinks 8% higher and other alcoholic beverages up 12%, both on an organic basis. In South Africa lager volumes grew by 1% driven largely by ongoing brand investment combined with continued focus on customer service and execution. Soft drinks volumes grew 8%, benefiting from increased channel penetration. SABMillers total global lager volumes grew 4% on an organic basis in H1 and soft drinks volumes rose 6%. Its H1 revenue increased by 8% y/y.

Related Articles

South Africas Exxaro mulls firing striking coal miners.

South African company Exxaro Resources said one of the options it currently considers is dismissing striking coal mine workers who fail to return to work in the week of March 25, fin24 reported ... more

South Africas Telkom says there is no decision to lay off 13,000 employees.

South Africas telecommunication operator Telkom said that it has not made a decision on retrenching 13,000 employees, or more than half of its staff, TechCentral reported quoting a company ... more

BP, Masana Petroleum Solutions sell LPG business in South Africa.

Oryx Energies, a major independent provider of oil and gas products and services in Africa, has agreed to buy the South African liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) distribution businesses of BP and ... more

Notice: Undefined index: subject_id in /var/www/html/application/controllers/IndexController.php on line 335
Dismiss