Kazakhstan labels land protests as coup d’etat attempt

By bne IntelliNews May 30, 2016

The Prosecutor-General’s Office in Kazakhstan issued statements on May 27 labelling land protests in the country on May 21 as an attempted coup d’etat and warned citizens against spreading false information.

Kazakhstan has seen an unprecedented wave of protests provoked by recent amendments to the Land Code that many fear will encourage Chinese expansion into Kazakhstan and even the eventual loss of land to China. Though President Nursultan Nazarbayev has moved to defuse opposition by postponing the controversial provisions of the latest land reforms, a nationwide day of protested was called on May 21, when the police resorted to heavy-handed tactics arresting over 1,000 of people throughout the country.

The official statements on an attempted coup d’etat come after state-run TV channels, in particular Channel One Eurasia that is a joint venture between the Kazakh and Russian state-run broadcasting companies, had repeatedly tried to paint the protests as an attempt to overthrow the government in Kazakhstan.

The prosecutor-general had twice warned the population against taking part in unauthorised rallies, the statements read. “Despite this, certain individuals tried to ignore legislation on rallies and provoke people to take part in illegal [protest] actions”. “Their ultimate aim was not peaceful rallies and changes to the Land Code but destabilisation of the public and political situation, incitement of interethnic hatred and seizure of power,” the statement says.

“They knew very well that large-scale disorder may lead to pogroms, violence, looting and human casualties,” the Prosecutor-General’s Office said drawing parallels with Lybia, Syria and Ukraine. “Law-enforcement agencies are investigating a number of criminal cases now.”

Fifty-one people were charged with administrative offences, including four were arrested for administrative offences and 12 were fined.

Related Articles

Moldovan businessman Stati threatens to ask bailiffs to sell Kazakh Kashagan stake in legal battle

Moldovan businessman Anatolie Stati’s spokeswoman said on January 9 that Stati will ask bailiffs to sell a $5.2bn stake in the Kashagan oil field owned by Kazakh sovereign ... more

Kazakhstan cuts grain export forecast as Russia squeezes it out of markets

Kazakhstan has cut its grain export target for the 2017/2018 marketing season to 8mn tonnes of grain from the previously expected 9mn tonnes, Deputy Agriculture Minister ... more

Iran rejects idea that a Caspian Sea settlement is in sight

Iran’s foreign ministry has rejected the suggestion that the five littoral states that share the shore of the Caspian Sea have largely agreed to delineate its maritime borders and settle their ... more

Dismiss