Fighting escalates in Ukraine's Donbas region ahead of ceasefire

By bne IntelliNews February 13, 2015

bne IntelliNews -


Fighting has escalated in East Ukraine's Donbas region, as Ukrainian forces and Russian-backed rebels jostle for position during the countdown to a ceasefire that will come into effect on February 15.

The ceasefire deal was hammered out in Minsk on February 12 after all-night talks by the heads of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine. But it left crucial questions open as to what territory each sides would control, which are likely to undermine the new Minsk agreement just as territorial questions undermined a previous agreement signed in Minsk on September 5. 

“This is not peace, this is fullscale war,” frontline commentator Yury Butusov blogged on February 13. “The Minsk peace agreements have not brought about a drop in tensions, but instead an escalation."

"The battle over the Debaltseve salient [a railway town held by Ukraine but encircled by the rebels] has reached fever pitch. Regular Russian forces are directing massed artillery bombardment of the Ukrainian positions, and Russian units are storming our redouts, trying to break through the defensive perimiter,” Butusov said, one of many Ukrainian voices to claim regular Russian units are fighting in the guise of rebels.

Rebel forces claim to have encircled Debaltseve, and Russian President Vladimir Putin was reported during the Minsk negotiations to have demanded that the town be surrendered to the rebels. 

The rebels appear to be making a last push to tighten their grip around the town before the ceasefire. “The 'Russian-Terrorist forces' have been tasked with raising their flag over Debaltseve and Mariupol [before the February 15 ceasefire],” Deputy Defence Minister Petro Mekhed said at a briefing on February 13.

The focus of fighting is the roadside village of Loginove on the highway leading westward from Debaltseve into Ukrainian-held territory. Debaltseve, a stategically important town for road and rail connections, juts into rebel-held territory, forming an exposed salient.

“Logvinove is in the hands of the Russian forces,” wrote MP and blogger Semen Semenchenko, who commands the Donbas battalion of volunteers. The Ukrainian command entrusted the Donbas batallion with retaking Loginove from the rebels, but Semenchenko blamed the unit's failure to do so on hesitant support from the Ukrainian army.

Ukrainian military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said that the battle was still raging over Loginove. He denied that any 'pocket' had formed around Debaltseve,  arguing that the highway was not the only available supply route for the town, where around 8,000 Ukrainian forces are believed to be dug in. Lysenko said that the forces there continue to receive supplies sufficient for their missions.

But roads out of Debaltseve seem nearly impassable due to rebel fire. Ukrainian journalists reported that 13 wounded Ukrainian soldiers were killed on February 13 when trucks carrying them out of Debaltseve came under fire. The Associated Press reported seeing two smouldering Ukrainian army trucks on the highway.

Vladislav Seleznyov, Ukrainian general staff spokesman, said on February 12 that eight soldiers had been killed and 34 wounded over the previous day.

Lysenko also said that Debalsteve had been awarded to Ukraine under the terms of the peace agreement signed in Minsk on September 5, 2015, and so Ukraine would not yield the town to the rebels. Russian President Vladimir Putin is reported to have called on Ukraine to surrender the encircled town, during talks leading up to the peace deal agreed on February 12.

As with the previous ceasefire agreed in September in Minsk, the weakness of the new ceasefire will be the disputed positions on the ground, with Debaltseve a candidate to play the same role as did the disputed territory of Donetsk Airport in scuppering the first peace deal.

The provisions of the peace agreement mean that Ukraine will have to remove heavy weaponry from Debaltseve starting February 15, leaving the town badly exposed.

“It is difficult to expect that this new document [Minsk peace agreement] will lead to a lasting stabilisation of the situation in eastern Ukraine, and so the risk of a sudden escalation of tension has not in fact been reduced at all,” write analysts at the Polish think-tank the Centre for Eastern Studies (OSW). “In the coming months, the Ukrainian government will be under constant pressure from the separatists and Russia as they try to force further concessions on Kyiv, while in parallel threatening to resume armed hostilities.” 

Related Articles

Drum rolls in the great disappearing act of Russia's banks

Jason Corcoran in Moscow - Russian banks are disappearing at the fastest rate ever as the country's deepening recession makes it easier for the central bank to expose money laundering, dodgy lending ... more

Kremlin: No evidence in Olympic doping allegations against Russia

bne IntelliNews - The Kremlin supported by national sports authorities has brushed aside "groundless" allegations of a mass doping scam involving Russian athletes after the World Anti-Doping Agency ... more

PROFILE: Day of reckoning comes for eccentric owner of Russian bank Uralsib

Jason Corcoran in Moscow - Revelations and mysticism may have been the stock-in-trade of Nikolai Tsvetkov’s management style, but ultimately they didn’t help him to hold on to his ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or 12 months full access inc. Magazine and Weekly Newspaper for just $119/year.

If you have already registered, enter the information below with the same email you used previously and you will be granted immediate access.

IntelliNews Pro subscribers click here

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address. A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

Thank you for purchasing a bne IntelliNews subscription. We look forward to serving you as one of our paid subscribers. An email confirmation will be sent to the email address you have provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

If you have any questions please contact us at

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

IntelliNews Pro subscribers click here

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

If you have already registered, enter the information below with the same email you used previously and you will be granted immediate access.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address. The confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.