Czechs trump Albania to push through CEZ settlement

By bne IntelliNews June 25, 2014

Tim Gosling in Prague -


Czech utility CEZ looks to have scraped out of one of its foreign misadventures with the help of the government and a trump card, as it announced it has reached a settlement with Albania over its local distribution unit. The deal, pushed through by Prague by threatening to delay Tirana's EU aspirations, will see the company handed €95.5m, around the same volume as its initial investment.

The deal looks to put to bed a long and bitter fight between CEZ and Tirana, which ended up featuring barbed comments and threats on a state level from Albania and the Czech Republic, which owns close to 70% in the power company. It also avoids the need for arbitration, which looked to be bogging down the ambitions of both parties. 

"The settlement agreement resolves all claims between the CEZ Group on the one hand and the Republic of Albania on the other hand relating to CEZ's investment in CEZ Shperndarje and the Albanian energy sector," CEZ and Albania said in a joint statement. Brokered by the Energy Community Secretariat in Vienna, "[b]oth parties pledge that the agreement contains no acknowledgement of any wrongdoing by any party."

That ends a saga that kicked off with CEZ's 2009 purchase of 76% in a major Albanian power distributor for €102m. However, the air around what became CEZ Shperndarje was poisonous practically from the start. The Czech company complained of unpaid bills by state companies, power theft and unrealistic regulation of prices. Tirana was incensed by CEZ's failure to stick to investment commitments.

The arguments came to a head in January 2013, when Tirana stripped CEZ Shperndarje of its licence and put it under administration. The pair has been tussling ever since, with CEZ taking Tirana to international arbitration. 


However, the likely spark for the deal is that the EU finally gave Albania the OK to push its accession bid forward earlier this year, after three previous failures. This was Prague's trump card, with a final decision by the EU set for a summit on June 26/27.

Earlier this month, high-ranking EU sources told Czech news agency CTK that the Czechs had complained that the talks in Vienna were yielding little and that they were now threatening to block Albania's progress unless it struck a deal allowing the power company to retreat without too much damage. Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka said on June 9 that although Prague generally supports EU enlargement in the Balkans, “the Czech Republic will be definitely interested in the protection of foreign investments in Albania, stability of its business environment and the fight against organized crime."

The EU granted Albania official candidate status the same day the CEZ deal was announced.

At the same time, the reformist government of Prime Minister Edi Rama - which took office in September - is keen to put the situation to bed to allow it to move forwards on updating its dilapidated power system. According to Reuters, it has been pressing to plough $200m into the electricity sector, with the World Bank and other donors ready to back that with additional funding once the dispute with CEZ was sorted.

Moving on

For its part, CEZ is also keen to put the past behind it. The Albanian investment was part of an ambitious strategy in the previous decade to build itself into a regional giant that has spectacularly backfired. It is also fighting against the seizure of its Bulgarian distribution licence, and is facing difficulties over a giant wind farm project in Romania.

However, since it dropped a €10bn or so plan earlier this year to expand its Czech nuclear plant Temelin, it has suggested it wants to have another pop at expanding its horizons. With that in mind, analysts say that although the Czech company will lose cash on the deal, its a better turnout than dragging through the courts for years.

Under the agreement, "after fulfillment of conditions precedent," CEZ says it will receive €95.5m as payment for receivables and the transfer of shares in CEZ Shperndarje, in addition to €4.5m  already received. The payments will come in annual installments to 2018. According to a statement from the Czech power company, the amount it will receive is "similar to initial investment into [the] purchase of [the] Albanian distribution company." 

"I consider the negotiated agreement as success because we will receive funds significantly earlier and we will not need to wait several years for results of the arbitration proceedings," says CEO Daniel Benes. "The agreement is designed so that the financial compensation will be guaranteed by [a] renowned European bank," he added.

Related Articles

UK demands for EU reform provoke fury in Visegrad

bne IntelliNews - The Visegrad states raised a chorus of objection on November 10 as the UK prime minister demanded his country's welfare system be allowed to discriminate between EU citizens. The ... more

Czech food producer Hame seen next on the menu for Chinese giant

bne IntelliNews - Following a smorgasbord of acquisitions in late summer, China Energy Company Limited (CEFC) is eyeing yet another small Czech purchase, with food ... more

INTERVIEW: Babis slams coalition partners, but Czech govt seems safe for now

Benjamin Cunningham in Prague - Even as the Czech governing coalition remains in place and broadly popular, tensions between Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka and Finance Minister Andrej Babis remain ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or 12 months full access inc. Magazine and Weekly Newspaper for just $119/year.

If you have already registered, enter the information below with the same email you used previously and you will be granted immediate access.

IntelliNews Pro subscribers click here

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address. A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

Thank you for purchasing a bne IntelliNews subscription. We look forward to serving you as one of our paid subscribers. An email confirmation will be sent to the email address you have provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

If you have any questions please contact us at

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

IntelliNews Pro subscribers click here

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

If you have already registered, enter the information below with the same email you used previously and you will be granted immediate access.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address. The confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.