Czech PM warns Albania over CEZ fight

By bne IntelliNews January 23, 2013

bne -

Albania's move to revoke the distribution licence of Czech utility CEZ's local unit is a "very negative" signal for relations between the countries and raises questions about the Balkan country's commitment to EU entry, Czech Prime Minister Petr Necas insisted on January 22.

"The action taken by Albanian authorities towards CEZ is a big disappointment," Necas said in a statement, in which he also vowed to back the company's efforts to seek damages. Following suggestions by analysts that the move will definitely hit sentiment towards Albania as an investment destination, the Czech PM sought to twist the knife by claiming it also raises questions over Tirana's EU ambitions.

"The Czech Republic cannot ignore the approach toward a Czech investor in the context of Albania's integration aspirations," Necas said. "For membership in the European Union, Albania must prove that it has rule of law, that it meets fundamental rules that shape standard market environment."

CEZ said earlier in the day that it will seek international arbitration, after Albania's power regulator ERE on January 21 followed through on its threat to revoke the licence. The move was the latest twist in a long-running saga that has seen CEZ at loggerheads with Tirana practically ever since it bought the distribution company - with the backing of the World Bank - for €102m in 2009.

Albania claims CEZ failed to invest in order to limit electricity losses in the distribution system, and failed to import the required amount of power needed to meet the percentage of Albania's power deficit agreed in the licence. CEZ counters that it has been forced to run the company at a loss due to a hike in wholesale prices from the state-owned generator, while not being allowed to raise consumer tariffs. Furthermore, many households and businesses, both state and private sector, simply don't pay their electricity bills.

Meanwhile, due to ERE's additional decision to immediately put CEZ Shperndarje into administration, the local media reports that CEZ may struggle to draw the €60m guarantee on its purchase of the company, for which it was reportedly to have applied in December.

CEZ chairman Tomas Pleskac said that the guarantee can only be drawn by the Albanian unit, according to CTK, noting that the Czech company has lost control of the subsidiary. "The powers of CEZ Shperndarje's administrator are so broad that it would have to be him [to] apply for the guarantee," Pleskac told online daily Insider. "We are analysing the situation from the legal point of view but we cannot rule out that we will not be able to draw the guarantee due to the lightning appointment of the administrator."

Related Articles

UK demands for EU reform provoke fury in Visegrad

bne IntelliNews - The Visegrad states raised a chorus of objection on November 10 as the UK prime minister demanded his country's welfare system be allowed to discriminate between EU citizens. The ... more

Czech food producer Hame seen next on the menu for Chinese giant

bne IntelliNews - Following a smorgasbord of acquisitions in late summer, China Energy Company Limited (CEFC) is eyeing yet another small Czech purchase, with food ... more

INTERVIEW: Babis slams coalition partners, but Czech govt seems safe for now

Benjamin Cunningham in Prague - Even as the Czech governing coalition remains in place and broadly popular, tensions between Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka and Finance Minister Andrej Babis remain ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss