Cell C sells 50% stake in Virgin Mobile South Africa.

By bne IntelliNews February 11, 2011
South Africa's third-largest mobile phone operator, Cell C said it will sell its 50% stake in Virgin Mobile South Africa for an undisclosed amount. Cell C will sell its 50% stake in Virgin Mobile and Virgin Group of the UK will increase its stake from 50% to 55% and Bahamas-registered Calico Investments will acquire the remaining 45% stake in the company, Cell C said in a statement. The closing of the transaction is expected by April 2011. Cell C will continue as Virgin Mobile's network partner in terms of an updated and expanded network services agreement. Virgin Mobile South Africa was launched in June 2006 as the country's first mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). The operator employs 175 people and has over 300,000 mostly post-paid active customers, according to data from its website. The company posted revenues of over ZAR 1bn (USD 139mn) in 2010.

Related Articles

South Africas Exxaro mulls firing striking coal miners.

South African company Exxaro Resources said one of the options it currently considers is dismissing striking coal mine workers who fail to return to work in the week of March 25, fin24 reported ... more

South Africas Telkom says there is no decision to lay off 13,000 employees.

South Africas telecommunication operator Telkom said that it has not made a decision on retrenching 13,000 employees, or more than half of its staff, TechCentral reported quoting a company ... more

BP, Masana Petroleum Solutions sell LPG business in South Africa.

Oryx Energies, a major independent provider of oil and gas products and services in Africa, has agreed to buy the South African liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) distribution businesses of BP and ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Notice: Undefined index: subject_id in /var/www/html/application/controllers/IndexController.php on line 296
Dismiss