Betting company Tipos fails to sell loss-making Casinos Slovakia.

By bne IntelliNews December 20, 2011
Slovak state-run betting and lottery company Tipos and Merk Reality have failed to sell their loss-making casino operator Casinos Slovakia, SITA news agency reported. The public tender for joint sale of shares of Casinos Slovakia that its shareholders announced this year was unsuccessful, Martin Jaros, spokesman for the finance ministry, was quoted as saying. The wholly state-owned Tipos owns 51.32% of Casinos Slovakia, while Merk Reality holds the remaining 48.68% stake. Aiming to streamline its business, Casinos Slovakia closed down three loss-making casinos - in Kosice and Zilina in October and the Reduta Bratislava casino as of November 1, and now runs two casinos. The company reported a EUR 1.2mn loss for 2010, blaming the economic crisis, which pushed away clients. Its revenue fell 15.8% y/y to EUR 28.2mn in 2010, as the number of people who visited its casinos dropped 135% to 48,700.

Related Articles

Slovakia one of possible locations for new BMW plant.

German car maker BMW considers building a new plant in eastern Europe and Slovakia is one of the potential locations, Hospodarske Noviny business daily reported citing BMW's board member Ian ... more

Slovakia jobless rate edges down to 14.7% in February 2013.

Slovakia's unemployment rate in February 2013 fell for the first time in six months going down to 14.7% from 14.8% in January when it reached its highest level in more than 8.5 years, data from ... more

Frances CCN Group considers new plant in Slovakia - report.

France-based CCN Group, a supplier of components for turbines and automobiles, considers building a new plant in Slovakia in the town of Belusa, Hospodarske Noviny daily reported citing unnamed ... more

Register here to continue reading this article and 2 more for free or purchase 12 months full website access including the bne Magazine for just $119/year.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

To continue viewing our content you need to complete the registration process.

Please look for an email that was sent to with the subject line "Confirmation bne IntelliNews access". This email will have instructions on how to complete registration process. Please check in your "Junk" folder in case this communication was misdirected in your email system.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and magazine

Subscribe to bne IntelliNews website and monthly magazine, the leading source of business, economic and financial news and commentary in emerging markets.

Your subscription includes:
  • Full access to the bne content daily news and features on the website
  • Newsletters direct to your mailbox
  • Print and digital subscription to the monthly bne magazine
  • Digital subscription to the weekly bne newspaper

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

bne IntelliNews
$119 per year

All prices are in US dollars net of applicable taxes.

If you have any questions please contact us at sales@intellinews.com

Register for free to read bne IntelliNews Magazine. You'll receive a free digital subscription.

Already a subscriber or registered - click here to recover access.

If you a IntelliNews Pro user - click here to login.

Thank you. Please complete your registration by confirming your email address.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you provided.

IntelliNews Pro offers daily news updates delivered to your inbox and in-depth data reports.
Get the emerging markets newswire that financial professionals trust.

"No day starts for my team without IntelliNews Pro" — UBS

Thank-you for requesting an IntelliNews Pro trial. Our team will be in contact with you shortly.

Dismiss